November 22 - December 21
The ninth sign of the zodiac is concerned with:
* philosophy, idealism, religion, spiritual growth
* optimism, positive outlook, forward planning
* travel, freedom of movement, the outdoors
* honesty, justice, morality
* imagination, aspirations, open-mindedness
* wit, intellect, flashes of intuition
* generosity, pleasure, romance
Sagittarius is the mutable fire sign of the zodiac. It can be likened to the stars, a thousand lighted candles, the sparks rising from a rapidly speading grass fire, or the reflectors making the route along the center of a major road.
Fire changes substances and Sagittarians have a knack of transforming negative situations with their optimism. Mutable means adaptable. Sagittarians can adapt to almost any situation, whether earthly or spiritual.
To learn to use their talents to guide others.
The Sagittarian Personality
These are the general personality traits found in people who are typical of Sagittarius. An unhappy or frustrated Sagittarius may display some of the not-so-attractive traits.
* Frank and open * Argumentative
* Optimistic * Impatient to be moving
* Sees the best in people * Critical to those who deny their talents
* Honest and fair-minded * A gambler at heart
* Spiritual * Can be a fanatic
* Enthusiastic * Hotheaded
* Inspiring * Fails to plan adequately
* Disarmingly happy * Tends to preach
* Stimulating * Denies sadness
* Happy-go-lucky * Uncommitted
* Holds no grudges * Fears any responsibility that curtails freedom
* Sensual * Blundering and inept
Inside anyone who has strong Sagittarian influences is a person who wants to be free. Possessive partners, conservative thinkers, and bureaucrats with whom Sagittarius comes into contact should be aware of this.
No matter who or what the cause, the Sagittarian who is held back in life, in love, or in opportunity for spiritual growth will be unhappy, even though he or she will keep smiling through all adversities.
Like the centaur, one of the Sagittarian symbols, the Sagittarian personality exercises conflict between mind and body. The Sagittarian purpose is to overcome this conflict so that they may guide others.
Ruling Planet and Its Effect
Jupiter rules the zodiac sign of Sagittarius, so anyone whose birth chart has a strong Sagittarius influence will tend to be expansive, pleasure-loving, benevolent, and have a strong sense of justice.
In astrology, Jupiter is the planet of beneficence. Psychologically, Jupiter is linked with wisdom and is the guide of the psyche.
Sagittarian Lucky Connections
Colors: blue, royal blue, purple, white
Plants: rush, oak, fig, hyssop
Gemstones: jacinth, lapis lazuli
Tarot Card: temperance
Animals: horse, dog
The Sagittarian Look
People who exhibit the physical characteristics distinctive of the sign of Sagittarius look strong and active. They are often taller than average and have handsome faces. Since a typical Sagittarius is an optimist, the face often appears about to break into a smile -- and regularly does.
* Body: strongly built and energetic; movement is normally quick, although not always graceful.
* Head: large, well-shaped skull with a high, broad forehead.
* Uses hands and arms to make broad, sweeping gestures.
* Bright, intelligent, and sparkling eyes which often twinkle with good humor.
* Either tall and athletic in appearance, or shorter with a sturdier body. Excess weight can be a problem, as Sagittarius is ruled by expansive, jovial, life-loving Jupiter.
The Sagittarius Male
If a man behaves in a way typical of the personality associated with the zodiac sign of Sagittarius, he will have a tendency toward the characteristics listed below, unless there are influences in his personal birthchart that are stronger than that of his Sagittarius sun sign.
The typical Sagittarius man:
* can be likened to a lively horse and often has a mane of hair that falls over the forehead and has to be tossed away. In later life, the Sagittarius may become bald, yet still retain a youthful look.
* is physically noticeable because of his strong sense of confidence
* will retain his physical faculties to a very old age
Behavior and Personality Traits
* is a risk taker
* says exactly what is on his mind
* enjoys physical danger
* has an unerringly accurate wit
* has a good memory for facts, but often forgets where he has left everyday objects such as keys
* is trusting until let down
* can tell really funny jokes, but often fluffs the punch line -- which makes the joke even funnier
* may be tactless but is never deliberately cruel
* likes learning, study, and creative interpretation
The Sagittarius Female
If a woman behaves in a way that is distinctive of the personality associated with the zodiac sign of Sagittarius, she will have a tendency toward the characteristics listed below, providing there are no influences in her personal birthchart that are stronger than that of her Sagittarius sun sign.
The typical Sagittarius woman:
* has an oval fave, a high forehead, and a pointed chin
* has a tall and slender body
* has eyes that are steady, bright, open, and honest
* has movement that is purposeful and even graceful
Behavior and Personality Traits
* is honest
* enjoys freedom of thought and travel
* will laugh about her misfortunes and mistakes, even while she is upset or in pain
* is angry if her integrity is questioned
* is kindhearted, though sometimes tactless
* can be deceived in romance, but is rarely misled in other areas of life
* enjoys taking risks, both physical and intellectual
* is often unconventional in relationships
* sticks by her own very clear moral standards
* can be cuttingly sarcastic when hurt
* regards herself and all others as equals
If a child behaves in a way that is distinctive of the personality associated with Sagittarius, he or she will have a tendency toward the characteristics listed below.
Behavior and Personality Traits
The typical Sagittarius child:
* is a happy, playful little clown
* greets everyone and is despondent if others don't say "Hello"
* acts on impulse
* is active, interested in many things, and usually adores animals
* tends to get more bumps, bruises, and cuts than many children because he or she is so adventurous and rarely sits still
* gives and expects total honesty
* enjoys company
* when left on his or her own will hug a teddy bear or a blanket
* asks endless questions
* expects to be trusted
Bringing Up Young Sagittarius
Most young Sagittarians enjoy learning but dislike being held back by what they see as needless rules.
They are capable of setting their own standards and should be encouraged to do so. A frustrated Sagittarian child can turn from being a happy-go-lucky optimist into an angry, sarcastic adult; therefore, it is important that the child be allowed to take any opportunities for learning and socializing.
Sagittarian children question adult values and poke fun at adult hypocrisy. The best thing that the parents of a Sagittarian child can do is to be totally honest.
Young Sagittarius's Needs
Love is essential to all children, but the way it is given varies. In the case of young Sagittarius, there should be no pressure or possessiveness, but love should be given by way of encouragement and by showing pleasure. Young Sagittarians hide their hurts, disappointments, and sorrows behind a spirited belief that everything must get better. The clown who laughs while his or her heart is breaking is behaving in a very Sagittarian way.
What To Teach Young Sagittarius
These restless, freedom-loving children need to be taught that there are some social rules that must be obeyed for their own good.
Handling money is another Sagittarian weekness, so a few practical lessons should be given: for example, not supplementing an allowance that has been rashly spent. Economy does not come naturally to generous, expansive Sagittarians.
Wise parents will teach their Sagittarian offspring the facts of life from an early age, so that they are well prepared when their adventures become romantic.
Sagittarius At Home
If a person has the personality that is typical of those born with a Sagittarius sun sign, home is a place to rest the mind and body before moving off on the next trip. He or she will will have a tendency toward the characteristics listed below.
Typical Behavior and Abilities
When at home, a Sagittarius man or woman:
* could be almost anywhere, Sagittarians make their home wherever they happen to be; some have, or would like, several homes, while others may be permanent travelers. It is not unusual for Sagittarians to spend time living abroad, or to divide their time between two different countries
* is usually planning for the next journey
* is not naturally domesticated
* enjoys making and receiving social visits
* does not enjoy formality, but loves informal gatherings where he/she is free to roam
Sagittarius as a Parent
* has very clear moral standards
* has faith in the children
* may expect too much intellectually
* will provide a very stimulating home
* will be eager to play with children, talk with them, and take them on travels
* enjoys the children and is great fun as a parent
* will always answer questions honestly
* will encourage the children to leave home when grown up
Two Sagittarians in the Same Family
Sagittarians are not usually very good at family relationships because they are natural wanderers and resume contact sporadically. Hence, two typical Sagittarians in the same family should get along perfectly well; each will understand the other's need for freedom of thought and action. Two Sagittarian children are apt to get into more physical scrapes, since they are both risk takers.
Sagittarius At Work
At work, the person who has a typical Sagittarian personality will exhibit the following characteristics.
Typical Behavior and Abilities
A typical Sagittarius at work:
* needs a challenge, so even in the dullest, most routine job, he or she will seek challenges
* is versatile
* needs to do several things at once
* may have two jobs
* needs intellectual and physical exercise
* gets tired only when bored
Sagittarius as Employer
A typical Sagittarius boss (male or female):
* is rarely naturally tactful and may be quite blunt
* has a sense of overall planning, although they may overlook details
* expects people to be straightforward
* can be erratic and hard to tie down
* can promote anything extremely well
* can boost morale and will fight for what he/she believes is right
* is generally cheerful
* is kind and understanding
Sagittarius as Employee
A typical Sagittarius employee (male or female):
* works best when allowed to get on with the job at their own speed -- which is usually fast
* is cheerful and does not complain
* is enthusiastic, willing, and generally ahead of everyone else
* enjoys praise and will promise almost anything
* is interested in current pay but not in long-term career plans
* will boost everyone's spirits when they are depressed
The workplace of a typical Sagittarius man or woman:
* is wherever they are -- they take their tools with them
* will be open and airy
* may be decorated imaginatively
Anything in sales or promotion that involves travel and knowledge of foreign languages; anything that allows Sagittarius to perform; and any career that involves learning and the use of the intellect such as teacher, lawyer, or writer. A Sagittarius will be attracted to work that combines intellect and physical activity, such as veterinary practice, or indeed any kind of work with animals.
Sagittarius and Love
To Sagittarius, love is a romantic adventure. Sagittarius in love will have many of the characteristics listed below.
Behavior When In Love
The typical Sagittarius:
* enjoys love on the move in foreign places
* is inventive
* needs good intellectual compatibility
* is totally honest with the loved one
* enjoys the physical pleasures of love
* is happy when he or she is loved
* is very generous and good-natured
The typical Sagittarius expects:
* not to be tied down
* to feel secure in love
* the loved one to be honest
* to retain freedom of movement
* never to be falsely accused of philandering
* to stimulate, amuse, and be enjoyed by the loved one
The End of An Affair
If a partner is possessive or jealous of Sagittarius, the relationship will begin to crack. Eventually, these pressures will cause Sagittarius to simply pack up and move on.
Sagittarians enjoy meeting people and may indulge in the occasional affair. On the whole, the attraction of the affair will be its excitement, rather than true romance. Sagittarius is prone to look elsewhere if an existing relationship becomes routine.
Sagittarius and Sex
A typical Sagittarius regards sex as another adventure to be enjoyed and explored. Sagittarians tend to take a chance on love, and they enter a relationship with the same recklessness that they display in their activities. In the relationship, he or she will be warm and loving and a wonderful companion.
Sagittarians normally enjoy a lot of touching and cuddling -- a good, warm, loving hug is their form of a security blanket. Common intellectual interests are equally essential to the success of any long-term sexual relationship.
Sagittarius and Partner
The person who contemplates becoming the marriage or business partner of a typical Sagittarius must realize that Sagittarius will value his or her freedom above everything. Given this, the person who partners Sagittarius can expect honesty and plenty of creative ideas.
Sagittarius Man As A Partner
He will want a partner who enjoys spontaneity and who will appreciate his grand gestures and courageous outbursts or enthusiasm. He will also want a partner who will not try to control him.
In business, a person who has a sound understanding of financial matters would make the perfect partner.
Sagittarius Woman As A Partner
Frank and friendly, she wants a partner who can love her for her outspoken charm, not wilt under it. Her words and actions will always show what she is thinking and feeling, so a potential partner should be quite clear about their feelings. Sagittarian women are neither coy nor evasive, and will want a partner who does not play silly games. In marriage or in business, a partner must always ask her to do something, never tell her. However, she will respond to hints.
Gemini is the complementary opposite sign to Sagittarius. Although the relationship between the two may have some difficulties, Sagittarius can learn from Gemini how to notice and take account of details. In this way, Sagittarius can become inspiring guides, lighting the way for others, rather than leading them by preaching what the route should be.
Sagittarius and Friends
In general, Sagittarius likes a friend who is open-minded, ready for an adventure, and trusting.
Sagittarians are friendly, gregarious people who accepts any friend who matches up to their personal standards. They will defend a friend with great loyalty, but they will also say exactly what they think.
Sagittarians have friends from many walks of life. Among those are likely to be both men and women, straight and gay people, a range of ages, and a mixture of ethnic groups; they will all be treated as equals.
Sagittarians respond to all calls of help. They will lend a friend money without expecting to be repaid; they take in stray animals and stray people and will support any cause in the name of friendship.
Close friendship with just one or two people is not the Sagittarian norm. In fact, anyone who tries to get too familiar with or who takes advantage of the Sagittarian natural friendliness, may be struck by the fiery rocket of Sagittarian temper. They generally fight with words, as sharp as darts, but some may also use their fists.
Sagittarians can be eccentric and may find it difficult to keep a secret.
A compatibility chart, below, lists those with whom Sagittarius is likely to have the most satisfactory relationships.
In general, if people are typical of their zodiac sign, relationships between Sagittarius and other signs (including the complementary opposite sign, Gemini) are as shown below.
Sagittarius with Sagittarius: Harmonious
Sagittarius with Capricorn: Harmonious
Sagittarius with Aquarius: Harmonious
Sagittarius with Pisces: Difficult
Sagittarius with Aries: Harmonious
Sagittarius with Taurus: Turbulent
Sagittarius with Gemini: Difficult
Sagittarius with Cancer: Turbulent
Sagittarius with Leo: Harmonious
Sagittarius with Virgo: Difficult
Sagittarius with Libra: Harmonious
Sagittarius with Scorpio: Harmonious
Sagittarian Leisure Interests
Sagittarians are versatile and like to kick against authority, so their leisure interests may be both varied and radical. Sports are natural activities for Sagittarians, who enjoy them for the social contact as much as for the competition.
A Sagittarian who has not traveled is unusual. Long-distance travel to foreign places is one of the main Sagittarian interests. Some may prefer to "travel" in the world of literature or religion, but their travels will also be far and wide.
On the whole, typical Sagittarians pursue the following leisure interests:
* gambling, gaming, racing cars, skydiving, and other risk-taking sports
* travel, exploration, cracking codes, tracking down mysteries, solving problems, speaking foreign languages, breeding animals, keeping pets
* religions, belief systems, new ways of being
Sagittarian Likes and Dislikes
* freedom of action
* alternative ideas
* being on the move
* food and drink
* perfumes and beauty aids
* raffles and lotteries
* parties, flirting
* disapproval from others
* making promises
* being too safe, secure, or confined
* tight clothes
* having their honesty doubted
Typical Sagittarians are healthy, energetic, and able to keep going in adversity. They hate to be confined to bed, unless it is to dream a little; any kind of routine will tax the Sagittarian optimism. However, their positive outlook helps them to overcome illnesses quickly and keeps them going if serious illness strikes.
Types of Sickness
Diseases often linked with a Sagittarian influence in the chart are the whole range of arthritic and rheumatic problems, diseases that attack the hips and legs, and problems arising from the Sagittarian tendency to fall over, trip over, or collide with things.
Asthma is linked with Sagittarius, as are sicknesses caught from animals -- Sagittarians are very fond of animals and like to be closely involved with them.
Sagittarians tend to take physical risks, so accidents arising from dangerous sports can be expected from time to time. The jovial Jupiter influence is said to lead many a Sagittarian into indulgence in food or drink, and this may lead to health problems.
Sagittarius at Rest
A typical Sagittarian never rests. A Sagittarius who lounges around looking bored is one who feels restricted and needs to break free again. The way that typical Sagittarians rest is by sleeping, thinking, and dreaming -- and then moving off somewhere new.
Mark Twain (Author and Humorist), Sir Winston Churchill (British Statesman), Maria Callas (Operatic Singer), Walt Disney (Cartoonist), Sammy Davis, Jr. (Singer, Dancer, Actor), Frank Sinatra (Singer), Jane Austen (Novelist)
Sunday, December 20, 2009